16.8.10

Vacation Time

I glanced through some of my old Myspace blogs today (I don’t remember the last time I logged into Myspace), from way back in 2006. This would have been my junior year in college, and also probably my favorite, as far as my success and feelings of accomplishments. I’ll share with you my thoughts on that particular blog-writing day:

“When did life become so boring? When did days of playing hide and seek all day and riding bicycles for fun turn into pages and pages of reading and writing? I'd like to know so i can go back and try to relive those moments, because there are very fews relaxing days anymore.
I don't mean to complain. I know I shouldn't, that this is just the way life goes. But where did all the Fun go? I'm not talking about drunken debauchery fun, I'm talking laughing til you can't stand, heart flutter til you want to cry, hug me and I might just melt fun.
Take me to New York in the Christmas time, Vegas in the summer. Take me to the Palm Beach Breakers and give me a spa treatment. Take me anywhere where i don't have to read 200 pages of Hawthorne in one night while trying to write a 15-page fiction story. I just want a vacation.”


If you can’t tell, I was stressed. I remember sitting at the desk in my room, mentally exhausted beyond belief and taking a break from the reading and writing to jot this blog into Myspace. What I find so ironic about this, is that right now I feel like I’m on a very long vacation, and I just want to go back to work (or college!). What I also find ironic is that I ended up doing just what I had in mind in the blog. It was only a little after a year of writing the above that I found myself galloping the streets of New York City during Christmas time (and even staying into New Years), and just this past summer I took not just one, but two trips to Las Vegas (and unplanned at that!).

The experiences were both wonderful – two of the best “vacations” I have ever had. But now that I am back into reality, I yearn to be challenged. Mercilessly. I want to be stressed and overwhelmed with reading and writing or creating sales or even steaming milk and pouring espresso. I want to go to bed tired and wake up energized just to go and do it all again. I want to feel like I have a purpose again.

And then I want to take a vacation. And really appreciate it :)

1 comment:

  1. two trips to vegas? I wish I had known...I would have loved to have visited you. Keep the faith....and next time you venture out west, let me know.
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete