30.8.10

Design and Travel

What a Jewel…



Actually, it’s a plastic brooch – but it’s reportedly about 40 years old, and therefore it has become my jewel.

I bought the brooch at a local antique store for about $30. It was the only piece of jewelry for sale that really caught my eye without being too gaudy or plain. I’m not too big on brooches, so I converted it into a necklace.


Of course any rope or fabric can be used to do the job, but I chose two twill pieces that I got from the inside of one of Craig’s very many ties (which I also use as belts and hairties, and he still hasn’t caught on because he has about 350!) to keep the aged look.

The necklace can be tied many ways. The Victorian way is the choker look. Apparently it is also the "goth" look.

Not really my thing.

And then there’s the standard necklace, which hangs just off the neck and on the chest.


You can lower it to hang below the breasts, a look that is popular these days.

Since the “jewel” is also a brooch, you can turn your strapless dress into a strappy one! Just tie the necklace around your neck and then hook the fabric from your dress into the back pin. You can adjust the height of your dress, do an asymmetric look by pinning it up on one side, or bring it up in the middle for a more diamond shape.


It’s amazing what one little brooch can do! And you don’t have to pay $30, there are plenty available for much cheaper!




And you can add it to your extensive collection of bracelets and necklaces.

Rainy Days…

The sun came out for a few hours yesterday, long enough for Craig and I to take a walk around the neighborhood and enjoy the beautiful cool air and breeze the cold front brought. We sat on the porch for about a half an hour and enjoyed the beauty of midtown- the church bells rang, followed shortly after by the whistle of the evening train, and then the songs of the ice cream man making his way down the street! It was so lovely we even let Milo and Otis sit in our laps on the front porch steps and enjoy it.
Today, the rain continues. I actually got caught in it during my jog, but it felt so wonderful I didn’t complain.


Tomorrow I get my Alabama food-handlers card so I can officially start working. Eric, the general manager at the store, was so sweet and accommodating as to give me the weekend off to spend in New Orleans! So today I have been searching for hotels or a B&B to stay for a few days.


Speaking of Travels….

I’ve realized this summer during all of my travels – 4 different states in 8 weeks! – that I am so fortunate to have a boyfriend that loves to travel as much as I do. And not just travel but really learn about the destination. I’ve grown to consider and evaluate each city as if I were interviewing it to see if I could live there. Here are my conclusions thus far (click on the links to get a view of the city for yourself!):

Savannah, GA: A plethora of restaurants, boutiques, historic buildings and shade from the oak trees lining the streets and filling the squares make this town one of my absolute favorites. A short walk to just about anywhere in the historic district, Savannah is also a great pedestrian-friendly and family-friendly town.

Charleston, SC: Much like Savannah, perhaps even a little more opulent with its Rainbow Row of large, very expensive historic homes. It’s easy to grow green with envy walking the lantern-lined cobblestone streets, but the architecture and rich history are certainly worthy of appreciation.

Cedar City, UT: You don’t hear much of this city, if anything at all, and I think the residents probably prefer it that way. The beauty of the sweeping landscape surrounding this area literally brought me to tears. I’d like to return for a more thorough visit and write an extensive blog about it – and look at real estate!

Las Vegas, NV: Known for its surplus of all things sinful, this relatively small city in the middle of the desert is one of my favorites simply for one reason – its close proximity to all things southwest! Of course the hotels in this adult fantasy-land are also a big part of the draw. And Henderson really is a lovely suburb, if you ever get the urge to move to this vibrant city.

New York City, NY: I don’t think I have to explain this one, and maybe I can’t entirely. Being in New York City really forces you to have a different perspective on life; to do more, to want more, to never ever sleep and to lose that extra ten pounds. But in a good way.

Jupiter, FL: Home to a big red lighthouse on a less-than-sleepy harbour, this quaint boating town is both beautiful and livable. Though it’s very expensive to live on the water, you can find a few neighborhoods inland that are less costly and still close enough to feel the sea breeze and smell the salt water. Plus, the upscale Palm Beach Gardens mall is just down the road, or, if you prefer as I do, just a boat ride down the canal.

New Orleans, LA: The food, the art galleries, the buildings, and bookstores that are literally built into holes in the walls, New Orleans is always a fine choice. Don’t go just for Bourbon Street – venture out and see historic Louisiana – it really is like another country!

I could list more if I really thought about it, but this is it for now. Hope you enjoyed!

3 comments:

  1. I think you need to post one about Bend, Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chocker looks great with the tie. And I love it worn the 'standard' way. A great look to dress up a tee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Karen I would love to visit Bend! We are planning a trip to Alaska next summer as our big vacation, but I know that Yosemite is in our future plans as well. That's pretty close to you guys, right?

    And thanks, Sara! I prefer it the standard way, too :)

    ReplyDelete