29.8.10

Updates

The 13th annual Beerfest (and my personal first) was a success! We started at a bar called Heroes where we purchased our mugs – mugs are required to get the free beer – and then made our way through the bars down Dauphin Street until we found ourselves at our favorite – the OK Bicycle Shop (pictured above). Buzzed and a tad hungry, we ate on the outdoor patio with hanging lanterns and a ton of people, saw some friends, and then came back home.

Just in time for Forrest Gump.

I still gush over Tom Hanks in this brilliant movie. A simple man with a big heart, and an everlasting love for his girl, Jenny.

I thought I learned everything I could in the 91 times I’ve seen this favorite movie of mine, but what I learned tonight was that the Bubba Gump Shrimp, Co. was founded in Bayou La Batre – right down the road from my own front door in Mobile, Alabama!

So, I’ve planned a trip there in three weeks. The busy shrimping town has slowed down since the oil spill, and most of the shrimp boats remain docked (which, fortunately for me, makes for good pictures!).

Out of respect for Mister Gump and the incredible movie (and soundtrack), here are a list of my favorite Forrest Gump quotes:

“I’m not a smart man, but I know what love is.”

“Sometimes I guess there just aren’t enough rocks.”

“You know it's funny what a young man recollects? 'Cause I don't remember bein' born. I don't recall what I got for my first Christmas and I don't know when I went on my first outdoor picnic. But I do remember the first time I heard the sweetest voice in the wide world.” –a quote I used in a literature class, it relates to my obsession with memory
“And that’s all I have to say about that.”

“You died on a Saturday morning...”

“Jenny taught me how to climb; and I taught her how to dangle.”

And that’s all for my tribute to Forrest.


This old house...


We’re finally getting around to moving boxes into inconspicuous places around the house. Craig has collected over ONE MILLION baseball cards as a long-time hobby. They were easy to store in the 3600 sq. ft Tallahassee house, but here in our little house with its almost non-existent closet space, we didn’t know where to put them – besides the trash, as I suggested. But alas, we moved some furniture around and found some hiding places. It was a creative challenge, which I always enjoy. And now we have room in our formal dining room for some furniture! I’m excited about this because for one, we’ve promised a few people dinner already, and also because I can decorate it in the Moroccan theme I want.



Decorating = love.


I’ve been having more fun with Picnik, as you can see below.




I just realized I have not posted a picture of my beloved kittens on my blog. I think it is time I debuted them!

Mister Milo, as taken from outside the door looking in. He was welcoming me home:

And Mister Otis, whom Craig jokes is a "mama's boy". Okay, maybe he is, but Craig is only jealous.

They make me laugh on a daily basis.


The Chef (as Craig's friends call him) is cooking up something for my birthday and I have no idea what, but I'm sure I'll love it.

Alright, that's all for today!

2 comments:

  1. Why haven't you registered with AsukaBook? They are the best!!! Love your blog....Can't believe you are turning 25 in just 11 short days....Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you get everything you wish for!!
    Love ya,
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watch Forrest Gump again this past weekend! I can never ever get enough of this movie! Please post photos of Bayou La Batre :-)

    ReplyDelete