24.8.10

I’ve got a little story about something that happened this morning.

I went for a jog around 10am, before the heat was overbearing, and weaved in and out of the streets contained in the Dauphin historic district, staying on some of the nicer roads. I turned down Fearnway Street , one of prettiest roads I’ve seen yet in midtown. In the midst of my jog, a large golden retriever decided it wanted to join me. A beautiful dog, it didn’t look before crossing the streets, and when I told it to “stay” it listened just long enough for me to jog a few strides when it was back by my side. I checked the I.D. on his collar and it had his address –indeed, he belonged on this lovely street. I decided to take him to his home.

About this time, a nice lady in a large home across the street called out to me. She asked where the dog belonged and if he/she had a name. I told her he, Harley, belonged to a Mr. George. She called the dog and he ran to her, while she mumbled to him something about not being taken care of. Moments later, he was back by my side. I told her I’d go with her, since the handsome boy didn’t want to leave my side.
We chatted and she welcomed me to the community, explained that Mr. George was old and when he lets Harley out he often forgets about him. We arrived at Mr. George’s beautiful white house and Harley ran up to the door. We knocked and just a few moments later a little old man in overalls and a short-sleeved checkered shirt opened the main door, and then pushed open the screen. The woman (I never caught her name) explained that I found Harley and decided to bring him home after he wouldn’t stop following me. The man paused, took his time to blatantly look me up and down and then said, “Well my eyes ain’t so good anymore, but I can sure see why.”
I did all I could not to laugh, but it came out anyway. We said our goodbyes but Mr. George wasn’t finished. “Oh, now, wait a sec,” he said. “Let me see here…” he patted his pockets as if to hear jingling. I couldn’t accept money, and told him so. “Okay,” he said.”Well then, goodbye now.” And he closed the door behind him.
Most of the residents in this town are as sweet as their iced tea. Mr. George made my day.


Well, this Saturday will busy with Beerfest – one of the more favorable annual celebrations in Mobile. I think the name explains itself. For Labor day weekend Craig and I are trying to get down to New Orleans, if my job permits.

Oh, that’s right, I forgot to talk about my newest job (that’s because I just got it today).
Assistant Manager- Foosackly’s. Family owned and operated, and also the most popular restaurant in Mobile, it looked like a fun job and I randomly applied, and got it! Turns out the “Foosackly” owners are easy on the eyes, too. Always a plus ;) So, let’s hope they are generous enough to give us Labor Day off, and I can spend some time in one of my favorite cities.

I know it is early, but I cannot wait for Halloween! A test of creativity and decorating skills, I must decide whether I want the autumn-charm factor or the Spook factor. You can’t have both, it’s either make them “awe” or make them scream.

Let’s be real, I can’t scare little children. But Craig can! Here are some ideas I’ve looked at:

The charm factor:


Isn't it adorable!

Add a few hanging lanterns (which I'm obsessed with anyway) - and this will be perfect. I find it ironic that this porch looks a lot like mine, too.


Well, considering the fact that all the “scary Halloween ideas” I searched for came out like this:


Terrifying!

And this:

Seriously?

I’ve decided to go with the charming affect. Let’s be real again, if I put up a scary decoration on my front porch, I will never walk through the front door, and I will end up terrifying myself.

Alright, that's all for today! Thanks for browsing.

3 comments:

  1. Did I misread something? I thought you broke up with Craig? Congratulations on the new job!!
    Love
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the highlighted parts on the other post were from years ago - with my ex-boyfriend Blake - and when I broke up with him. Craig and I are doing just fine now that the stress is over from the move and me finding a job. He was always very optimistic, I'm the one who was panicking!

    Thanks for the congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming is the way to go, anyway that's what you are. Cute story, congrats on the job :)

    ReplyDelete